Restore Your Smile with Same-Day Crowns
Dental crowns have been used in dentistry for decades to restore and reinforce decayed or damaged teeth following treatment. In the past, crowns had to be fabricated in a dental lab – a process that takes about two to three weeks on average. Today, advanced dental technology allows us to create same-day crowns for qualifying patients. At our Montreal, QC, dental practice, our doctors use advanced E4D CAD/CAM technology to design, fabricate, and place dental crowns in a single visit.
About Dental Crowns
Used for both restorative and cosmetic procedures, a dental crown can:
- Repair chips, cracks, and fractures
- Address intrinsic staining and discoloration that does not respond to teeth whitening
- Conceal a misshapen tooth
- Repair a decayed tooth
- Strengthen a weakened tooth
- Address tooth erosion and correct occlusion
- Restore a root canal-treated tooth
At Smile Montreal, we utilize the E4D CAD/CAM system. It uses a laser scanner rather than a digital infrared camera for more accurate results.
How It Works
The fabrication of same-day dental crowns involves the use of computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM). This technology uses digital imaging to create an accurate representation of your teeth. To begin treatment, your doctor will prepare the tooth by removing decayed or damaged tissue. He will remove further tissue to create an optimal foundation for your new restoration. Once the tooth is prepared, 3-D images will be captured with a handheld wand and uploaded directly to our computer. Using this information, your doctor will design a virtual crown on the computer monitor, taking special note of your unique dental anatomy. Once the crown has been designed, we will choose a shade for your new restoration that will match the rest of your smile. The image files will then be sent to our in-office milling machine, where your new crown will be crafted from a solid block of porcelain.
Benefits of Same-Day Crowns
Same-day dental crowns offer several advantages. For example, CAD/CAM technology can deliver:
- Immediate results: Because our CAD/CAM system can create your crown in about one hour, you can leave the office with your brand-new smile on the same day.
- Natural-looking aesthetics: Porcelain mimics the translucency of natural teeth, reflecting light in a similar fashion. Therefore, your new restoration will be virtually indistinguishable from your other teeth.
- Accurate results: Because digital technology is precise, you can expect that your crown will fit properly.
- Optimal comfort: Digital impressions eliminate the need for messy impressions, making your experience much more comfortable.
About Our E4D CAD/CAM Technology
When it comes to CAD/CAM systems, there are plenty of options available today. One of the most popular units is CEREC®, which is quite effective. However, as technologies have evolved, other systems are now outperforming CEREC. At Smile Montreal, we utilize the E4D CAD/CAM system because it uses a laser scanner rather than a digital infrared camera, offering more accurate treatment for our patents.