Restore Form and Function with Implant-Supported Dentures
Patients in Montreal, QC who are missing several teeth or an entire dental arch can regain the appearance and function of their smile with implant-supported dentures. Restoring health, function, and aesthetics, implant-supported dentures are widely considered to be the optimal full-arch solution for patients seeking teeth replacement. At Smile Montreal, Drs. Charles and Patrick Casey have over 20 years of experience in restorative dentistry. Using advanced technology such as i-CAT® 3-D imaging, they can provide precise, high-level implant treatment.
What are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Similar to traditional dentures , implant-supported dentures can replace an entire arch of missing teeth. However, rather than resting directly on the gum tissue, they are connected to dental implants. Although they are removable by a dental professional, implant-supported dentures offer maximum stability through the use of “snap-on” retention. Following dental implant surgery, patients typically require four to six months of healing before the denture can be directly attached.
Restoring health, function, and aesthetics, implant-supported dentures are widely considered to be the optimal full-arch solution for patients seeking teeth replacement.
Am I a Candidate for Implant-Supported Dentures?
The only way to know for sure if you qualify for dental implants is to meet with Dr. Casey for a consultation. In addition to assessing your gums and any existing teeth, he will also review x-rays and scans to determine the health of the underlying structures. In order for implants to be successful, you must be in good overall health and have jawbone that is strong enough to support the implants. Patients with insufficient bone tissue may need to undergo a preparatory procedure, such as a bone graft or a sinus lift. Dr. Casey can help you determine if an implant-supported denture is right for you, and will design a custom treatment plan to address your specific needs.
Treatment Process for an Implant-Supported Denture
When choosing an implant-supported denture, treatment is often performed in phases. The end result is a fully functional, healthy, and natural-looking smile. Your treatment timeline will typically include:
- Implant Placement: The first step will involve receiving your implants. The number of implants necessary will vary for each patient. The implants are placed during a surgical procedure and typically require four to six months of healing. During this time, your jawbone will fuse with the implants in a process called osseointegration.
- Impressions: Once the healing period is complete, we will take molds of your mouth. These impressions will be sent to a trusted dental lab for the fabrication of your final denture.
- Connectors: When your denture arrives from the lab, connectors (abutments) will be attached to the implants. This portion will extend beyond the gum line to provide a foundation for your denture.
- Restoration: When the connectors are in place, your custom dentures will be secured to your implants.
Benefits of an Implant-Supported Denture
Thousands of patients enjoy the advantages of implant-supported dentures, noting an overall improvement in their quality of life. These advantages often include:
- Jawbone Preservation: Because dental implants serve as artificial teeth roots, they encourage bone growth and prevent jawbone recession.
- Increased Function: Implant-supported dentures offer a stable solution that allows patients to eat their favorite foods with ease. Additionally, many patients find their ability to speak clearly is vastly improved when compared to traditional dentures.
- Provide Optimal Fit: Because an implant-supported denture is custom-made for each individual, it provides a sleek and comfortable fit.
- Maximize Aesthetics: Implant-supported dentures are crafted to be incredibly natural-looking, complementing the natural contours of your mouth.
- Prevent Gum Erosion: Unlike their traditional counterpart, implant-supported dentures do not rest directly on the gums. This not only improves comfort, but prevents gum recession over time.
- Increase Confidence: In addition to improving your oral health and function, implant-supported dentures could give you a boost in confidence.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are considering teeth replacement options, implant-supported dentures could be the solution for you. To schedule a consultation with one of our doctors, contact us online or call our office at (514) 937-6558.
“I felt more like I was talking to a friend than I was to a dentist.” Nancy Lanzolla, Former Patient