Are Dental Implants Right for Me?
Dental implants are considered to be the best possible solution for patients with missing teeth. These restorations are versatile; a single implant or multiple implants can be placed to replace any number of teeth in the upper or lower jaw, and different types of prosthetic teeth can be secured to dental implants. Our Montreal cosmetic dentists, Charles and Patrick Casey, are skilled in the field of implant dentistry and can tailor dental implant treatment plans to the unique needs of our patients. But first, patients should schedule a time to come into our office for a comprehensive exam and informative consultation. During the exam, we can perform the necessary diagnostic tests to determine if a patient is a good candidate for dental implants and formulate an effective treatment plan.
Candidates for dental implants include those who are missing at least one tooth. Whether a tooth is missing due to genetics, injury, gum disease, or tooth decay, it may be possible to replace the natural tooth root with a dental implant. For our patients in Montreal, dental implants can be placed if the remaining teeth, gums, and jawbone are in sufficient health.
The Health of Remaining Teeth
If any teeth remain, our dentists will determine if they have been damaged by tooth decay or gum disease. Any teeth that can be saved will be repaired with dental restorations; teeth that are beyond repair will be extracted before the dental implants are placed.
The Health of the Gums
If the patient’s tooth loss was caused by gum disease, the condition must be eradicated and the gums repaired and healed before the patient can undergo dental implant treatment. Gum disease treatment may include root planing and scaling, pocket reduction, or gum grafting surgery.
The Health of the Jawbone
Finally, good candidates for dental implant surgery must have a sufficient amount of healthy jawbone. Patients that do not have enough jawbone may undergo bone grafting surgery to prepare the jaw for the dental implants.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
In the long-term, dental implants can be life-changing for many patients. Benefits include:
- A beautiful smile that recreates the look and feel of natural, healthy teeth.
- Stability and confidence when chewing, talking, laughing, and other daily activities.
- They may help restore speech in patients whose dental problems have created speech impediments or difficulty speaking clearly.
- Ease of maintenance when cleaning both the natural teeth and gums and the prosthesis.
- The filling out of a jaw that has become “hollowed out” because of tooth loss and decay of jaw strength. Dental implants provide a support system that helps the jaw retain a strong shape that supports the skin and muscles of the face and prevents premature sagging and drooping.
- A stronger jaw. When tooth loss occurs, the jawbone around it can become weakened or decayed and may need to be replaced with bone grafting. Dental implants prevent further weakening.
To find out if you are a good candidate for dental implants, contact Smile Montreal today.