What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Professional dental care is vital to maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile. Unfortunately, many people hesitate to schedule routine dental exams and cleanings or undergo necessary restorative dentistry treatment because they suffer from dental anxiety.
At Smile Montreal, Dr. Patrick Casey offers sedation dentistry to make dental treatment more comfortable for his Montreal, QC, patients who are afraid of the dentist. You may be wondering, “what is sedation dentistry?” Sedation dentistry uses various sedation techniques to ease dental anxiety and allow patients to feel relaxed and pain-free throughout their dental care.
Sedation Dentistry Techniques
Dr. Casey offers multiple sedation dentistry techniques, so that patients can find a suitable solution for dental anxiety, whether they are undergoing a routine dental cleaning, or require more invasive restorative dentistry treatment. The two sedation techniques available at our dental practice are oral conscious sedation and IV sedation.
- Oral conscious sedation - Oral conscious sedation brings patients to a state of total relaxation without rendering them unconscious. When under the effects of oral sedation patients are able to respond to questions and follow instructions, but they do not feel anxiety or pain. To achieve conscious sedation, patients take a prescribed oral sedative at home, about an hour or two before their dental appointment. The effects of oral sedatives can last for a couple of hours, so patients will need a ride to and from their dental appointment.
- IV sedation - IV sedation puts patients into a deeper state of relaxation. Most patients sleep throughout their dental procedure and wake with no memory of the treatment. IV sedatives are administered directly into the bloodstream, so they take effect immediately. IV sedation is usually reserved for more complex dental treatments, or for those of our Montreal patients who have severe dental anxiety or a strong gag reflex.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right For Me?
Anyone who feels heightened anxiety when it is time to go to the dentist, or anyone who has avoided recommended dental treatment because of dental fear, is likely an ideal candidate for sedation dentistry. Additionally, sedation dentistry may be appropriate in the following situations:
- The patient requires complex restorative dentistry treatment
- The patient has a strong gag reflex
- The patient has a condition that makes it difficult for them to stay still for extended periods of time
- The patient has extremely sensitive teeth
- The patient has experienced a traumatic dental experience in the past
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry offers a number of benefits to those who are candidates. Sedation dentistry puts patients into a relaxed state so that they are able to undergo dental treatment without feeling any pain or anxiety. With patients in this relaxed state, Dr. Casey can get dental treatments done faster and more efficiently. When complex dental care is needed, sedation dentistry allows us to combine multiple procedures at once so that patients do not have to schedule several different appointments. Perhaps most importantly, sedation dentistry promotes good oral health by helping people combat their dental anxiety and get back to the dentist.
If you suffer from dental anxiety and would like to find out how sedation dentistry can help, Dr. Patrick Casey would be happy to tell you more about our sedation techniques. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Casey, contact our practice online, or call (514) 937-6558.